JAU/ Barley Sattu – The ancient superfood for all!
Jau Sattu, also known as Barley Sattu, is a nutritious and traditional roasted barley flour commonly consumed in parts of India, especially in the northern regions. It is known for its health benefits and is used to make various food and beverage items.Jau sattu is an extremely versatile product .It has a somewhat slightly nutty flavor that can complement many dishes.
It’s also rich in many nutrients and packs some impressive health benefits, ranging from improved digestion and weight loss to lower cholesterol levels and a healthier heart.
Preparation: Jau Sattu is made by roasting barley grains and then grinding them into a fine powder. The roasting process enhances the flavor and aroma of the barley.
How Natureship’s Jau Sattu is Unique ?
Desi grains, roasted by hand and Stone ground by hand to give you best of nutrition, taste and aroma!
Naturally handcrafted preserves nutrition. The presence of the bran and the germ in our stone ground products ensure the presence of B vitamin, specifically folate which is essential for cerebral development and provides crucial amounts of dietary fibers.
The grains are organically grown with care and processed without the use of any oxidative chemicals and in the absence of potentially carcinogenic and harmful pesticides.You would also have absolutely transparent information about place of harvest and processing of our products .
- Stone ground
Jau Sattu when stone ground and hand roasted delivers additional nutrients Like insoluble dietary fibres and Vitamin B (folate) that is exclusively present in the bran and germ that is otherwise removed in mechanical milling or by the use of oxidative chemicals .Vitamin B is essential for the production od red and white blood cells in the bone marrow, convertion of carbohydrates into energy and cerebral development .
- Absense of Pesticides
Natureship’s Chana Sattu is made by dry roasting of Barley that is grown completely organically without the use of pesticides, fungicides or any other fumigating agent. There is warranted transparency about the place of harvest and the subsequent processing of the product.
- Hand roasted and processed by rural women
Natureship products are hand made using traditional processing techniques like natural stone grinding that is done by small scale women farmers from a village in Jharkhand. From the harvest of the pluses to the grinding and packaging is all organically done by these very women so, when you’re buying from us you can ensure that you’ll be providing some essential financial aid and employment to the rural women of Jharkhand and Bihar
- Helps in weight loss- Jau sattu aids in weight loss due to its high fiber content, which helps control appetite and stabilize blood sugar levels. It also provides essential nutrients and protein, supporting muscle maintenance during weight loss efforts. Incorporating jau sattu into a balanced diet can be a valuable tool for effective weight management.
- Healthy skin- Jau sattu is great for the skin because it’s rich in antioxidants and vitamin E, helping to reduce inflammation, prevent premature aging, and promote a healthy complexion. Its fiber content also supports detoxification for clearer skin.
- Helps in hairfall- Jau sattu (barley flour) can help control hair loss because it’s rich in protein, contains essential nutrients, antioxidants, and iron, all of which promote hair health. However, it’s not a guaranteed solution and should be part of a broader strategy that includes a balanced diet, hydration, and addressing underlying causes of hair loss.
- Reduces Hunger and May help you lose weight- Jau contains soluble fibres that tend to form a gel like substance in your gut which slows digestion and absorption of nutrients. In turn this curbs your appetite and promotes fullness.
- Prevents gall stones– The type of insoluble fibre found in barley may prevent the formation of gall stones and reduce the likelihood of gall bladder surgery.
- Reduce bad cholesterol– Beta Glucans the magical soluble fibre found in barley have been shown to reduce bad cholesterol by binding to the bile acids in the gall bladder
- Prevents colon cancer– insoluble fibre specifically helps to reduce the time food takes to clear your gut. Additionally, soluble fibre may bind to the harmful carcinogens in your gut, removing them from your body.
- Mix with water and drink
- Tibetan Barley Soup: Barley is often used to make hearty soups in Tibetan cuisine. Jau Sattu can be added to these soups to enhance their nutritional content and add a nutty flavor.
- Tsampa: Tsampa is a traditional Tibetan food made from roasted barley flour. It’s a staple in Tibetan cuisine and can be prepared in various ways, such as mixing it with tea or yak butter. Jau Sattu can be used to make a variation of tsampa, providing a convenient and nutritious source of energy.
- Barley Porridge: Jau Sattu can be used to make a simple barley porridge, which is a common breakfast dish in Tibet. It’s often served with butter and salt, making it a hearty and energy-rich meal.
- Barley-Based Snacks: Barley-based snacks, such as roasted barley grains or barley cakes, are enjoyed in Tibetan culture. Jau Sattu can be incorporated into these snacks for added flavor and nutrition.
- Jau sattu Pancakes
Sattu Flour – 1 cup
Gram Flour / Besan / Kadalai Mavu – 1/2 cup
Sooji . Rava – 1/2 cup
Curd – 1 cup
Water as needed
Onion – 1 chopped finely
Green Chillies – 2 chopped finely
Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp chopped finely
Salt to taste
Ajwain / Carom Seeds / Omam – 1/2 tsp
Oil for making dosa
Mix all ingredients to a smooth batter.
Make dosa. Drizzle oil around the sides.
Cook till golden on both sides.